By now you must have heard about the cloud, and also you have likely heard about benefits of using the cloud computing for your enterprise and business, so, for now, we are going to detail about types of cloud computing. But still, most of the people from outside the world of IT may not know about the multiple types of cloud computing and their advantages and disadvantages. So here we are going to make you understand about the different types of cloud computing. Cloud computing moreover if asked in simple terms then it can be defined in one of the two ways such as Cloud deployment model based on the cloud location or on the services that are offered by the cloud. Each of the types of deployment method and cloud services provides the user with different levels of management, control, and flexibility. So understanding differences between both of these will help you to decide that what set of the model as well as service is best for you.
Cloud Computing Types and Services
So here we are going to classify cloud on a different basis.
Classification on the basis of cloud location.
Based on the location cloud can be classified as the private, public and hybrid.
- Public Cloud: At first talking about the public cloud, here the computing infrastructure is hosted by cloud vendor at the vendor locator itself. The customer didn’t have any control and visibility over where the cloud infrastructure is hosted in which the service provider makes the resources, like applications and storage, that are available to the general public over the web/internet. Public cloud services can be free or it can be offered on a pay per usage model. Its name is the public cloud as the computing infrastructure is shared between the organizations. Below are the characteristics of the public cloud.
- Easy to Use: Some of the developers favors the usage of public cloud due to fact its ease of access. Also the public cloud operates at the pretty fast speed, that is also alluring to some of the enterprises.
- Cost effective: As the public cloud uses pay per use model so it is very cost effective way, and users can easily make use of this model.
- Operated by the third party: The public cloud is operated by the third party and is not specific to a single person, business or any enterprise also it is constructed with the shared resources.
- Flexible: Public clouds are flexible enough as it allows its users to easily add or even drop the capacity, and also are typically accessible from any of the internet connected device.
- Can be quite unreliable: Public cloud outages recently made headlines in the recent weeks, leading to the headaches for its users.
- Less secure: Public cloud offers often the lower level of security and are more susceptible to hacks.
Types of cloud computing with example:
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
- IBM’s Blue Cloud
- Google AppEngine
- Sun Cloud
- Windows Azure Services Platform
2. Private Cloud: Here in private cloud, the computing infrastructure is implemented within the corporate firewall, all under control of the IT department mainly. As the name suggests it is not shared with other organizations. But some of the experts consider and believe that private cloud is not the real example of the cloud computing. In respect to public cloud, private cloud are much more secure and expensive as well. Below are some of the main features of private cloud.
- Organization-specific: Private cloud are developed and offers services specifically to one organization or enterprise, as like public cloud they are not shared among many users.
- More control and reliability: The infrastructure and services of private cloud are maintained onsite or in a privately hosted environment such as the third-party data center. This provides and the enterprise/ organization all over control over access.
- Customizable: IT can easily customize storage as well as networking components so that the cloud can be a perfect fit for the particular organization and its requirements.
- Costly: When compared to the public cloud, private cloud is much more costly due to its increased management responsibilities and private service that it offers.
- Required IT expertise: Some of the organizations may not have infrastructure so that to completely build out as well manage a custom private cloud within their own IT department. So in these type of cases, a managed private cloud may be a viable option for everyone.
Private cloud is also categorized in two types
- On Premise private clouds
- Externally Hosted private clouds
Externally hosted private clouds are usually used by one organization but they are hosted by some other third party specializing in the cloud infrastructure. Externally hosted private clouds are also much cheaper than the on- premise private cloud.
3. Hybrid Cloud: When both the clouds public as well as private are used together then t is referred as the hybrid cloud. Such as, organizations may host the critical applications on the private clouds and applications that are with relatively less security concerns on the public cloud. Below are some of the main features of the hybrid cloud.
- Flexible and scalable: As the name suggests the hybrid, a combination of bith private as well public cloud, so here companies have the ability to mix and match for the ideal balance of the cost and security.
- Cost effective: As hybrid cloud offer both types of the facility so businesses can take this advantage of the cost effectiveness of the public cloud computing while enjoying security feature of the private cloud.
- Widely popular: Due to its features many of the enterprises are adopting hybrid cloud.
So, ultimately it can be said that it looks to be a promising solution for the future.
4. Community Cloud: It includes sharing of the computing infrastructure in between organizations of the same community. For example all the Government organizations that are within the state of Washington can easily share computing infrastructure on the cloud so that to manage the data related to the citizens residing in Washington.
This was the classification that was based on the location of cloud, further cloud can be classified as the based on the services it offers. So according to the services, it offers below are the 5 types of services with their advantages they bring to business and what is required for them to implement the each service.
Cloud Computing Services
- SaaS (Software as a Service)
The capability which is provided here to the customer is that to use the provider’s applications that are running on a cloud infrastructure. All the applications are accessible from the various client devices such as through either thin client interface like the web browser (for example web based email) or a program interface. The customer doesn’t manage or control the s underlying cloud infrastructure including network servers, storage, operating systems or even the individual application capabilities, with the possible exception of the limited user-specific application configuration settings.
Advantages of Using Saas for a business
Minimized IT support costs
Minimized IT capital expenditure
What is required to use SaaS?
Connection to the service provider via a secure internet connection such as VPN, Web SSL, MPLS, etc. The Certain type of SaaS solutions are mostly delivered via a program interface that runs on the customer equipment.
2. PaaS (Platform as a Service)
The capability provided in the PaaS to the customers is to deploy onto the cloud infrastructure customer created or acquired applications that are created using the programming languages, services, libraries and the tools that are supported b the provider. The customer doesn’t manage or control underlying cloud infrastructure that includes operating systems, or any storage but has the control over deployed applications/data and also possibly configuration settings for application-hosting environment.
Advantages of using PaaS
Pass helps business and allows them to focus on the applications and not the underlying hardware, OS, middleware. The flexibility of PaaS enhances the agile software development methodologies. Here with PaaS you get reduced cost and complexity since the customer will not be able to maintain the underlying OS/middleware.
Requirements to use PaaS
The requirements for the PaaS are the connection to the service provider through a secure internet connection (Web SSL, MPLS, VPN etc).
3. IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service)
Here with IaaS, the capability that are provided to the customer are to provision p[rocessing, networks, storage and many other fundamentals computing resources where the customer is able to deploy and also run the arbitrary software that includes operating systems and the applications. The customer here maintains and also has the control over the operating systems, deployed applications/data and the local storage.
Advantages of using IaaS
The advantages of using the IaaS are listed as below:
- No large physical hardware expenditures is required
- Alleviates the customer of complex capacity planning activities
- Much more flexibility
- The customer has all control over the OS/application installation, configuration as well as management.
- Pay per use model
- Easy add-on/utilization of the other cloud provider offerings
Requirements of using IaaS
The requirements to use the IaaS are connection to the service provider via a secure internet connection (VPN, SSL, MPLS etc.)
4. DRaaS (Disaster Recovery as a Service)
Here in DRaaS customers get the opportunity of replication and hosting of the customer’s server infrastructure to the geographically separate data center. Upon the customer declared failover event customer’s server infrastructure that will begin operating out of geographically separate datacenters in the minimal time frame and also at the same time ensuring continued business operations.
Advantages of using DRaaS
Minimum business operations downtime in event of the natural or man made the disaster. Each and every if there is an impact on the business then this only result in lost revenue. Most of the traditional methods can help to protect data and create the backup but at the time of disaster, there may be no functioning server infrastructure that is available on which the backups can be easily restored. Ith DRaaS this problem can be solved. This also eliminates the cost that is associated with that to maintaining and establishing the traditional private DR facility.
Requirements for using DRaaS.
The requirements that one needs to have for using DRaaS are the connection to the service provider via a secure internet connection (VPN, Web SSL, MPLS etc) also the compatible production virtual server infrastructure.
5. BaaS (Backup as a Service)
Backup as service provides its customers to backup the data that actually resides in customers computing environment to the Metroplex’s secure remote BaaS environment. All the backup operations occur within the secure connection between remote Baas environment and data source. The customer has the overall control to perform or monitor backup/restore the operations through the self-service portal.
Advantages of using BaaS
Ease of management
Scalable backup capacity
Scalable backup retention length
No Offsite tape storage service costs
Requirements to use BaaS
The things that re required for BaaS are the connection to the service provider via a secure internet connection (VPN, Web SSL, MPLS etc). Both BPaaS and DaaS are the two of the other cloud services and are not regarded as the main one. So here we complete with the classification of cloud computing on the basis of the location of the cloud as well as services that are offered by the cloud. Once you have understood the importances of different types of cloud computing based on the location and service then the most important step is to choose the right type of the cloud and service as per your requirements.
Cloud computing is the technology of the future and it is truly facilitating the way a company’s mobile workforce is conducting the business. Cloud solutions basically allow the businesses to grow to forgo all the upfront costs of building the local data center by outsourcing all important services that are needed to run, maintain and grow the change to your business cloud-based infrastructure.
There are so many advantages of cloud computing such as lower upfront costs and reduces infrastructure costs, only pay for what you exactly mak use of, overall environmental benefits, everything managed under SLAs and much more that’s the reason most of the companies are making use of cloud computing so be one of them you too. We hope that you are finding the above information useful for you to understand the types of cloud computing public private hybrid technologies.